Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Beginning

I suppose the title can be taken in one of two ways.  It is the beginning of my blog and this post will relay my personal story of a beginner foodie.  I suppose one would have to understand what a foodie is, though there are many different ideas of what it could mean.  One definition would be: A person who has an ardent or refined interest in food; a gourmet(Boston Globe).

I consider myself an amateur foodie.  I think my interest in food is ardent, but not sure how refined it is yet.  But I am working on it.  I enjoy trying new restaurants, trying new recipes and learning whatever I can about food.  My hope for my blog is to find others like me and share thoughts on restaurants, various recipes and even discussions on my other addiction reality TV shows(focusing on the food related ones: yes my favorite show is the Top Chef series).

In the beginning I was raised in your good all-American household.  We ate dinners at the dinner table together, we ate your staples of Macaroni and Cheese, spaghetti, etc.  My Mom was a great cook and I loved everything we ate.  Not too sure how adventurous we were as eaters, but what we ate was good.  We went out to eat but typically to your chain type restaurants.  I enjoyed them(and i still do, sorry foodies).  I went off to college, made some spaghetti here or there, lived on the basics like the majority of college students.  Towards the end of my college years I began to experiment more and more with recipes.  Trying things that sounded good.  I think my first dish that I made a staple of my cooking was stuffed Manicotti.   It is probably the dish that won over my future wife.

As I married and settled down I found someone who also enjoyed trying new recipes, trying new restaurants or sitting in front of the TV with me and watching some cooking show.  But to be honest until we moved to San Antonio I don't think we really took that big leap to being on the road to foodie status(future topic).

I tend to enjoy cooking new recipes rather than old ones.  I suppose I get bored by the ones I have already made. So i do try to be a little adventurous.  Recently I made a phylo shell with prosciutto, Parmesan cheese and cantaloupe caviar.  Yes I used some molecular gastronomy and made cantaloupe juice into a caviar.  Hopefully in a future post I will have pictures and talk about how that went.

So before I ramble on too much I want to thank you for taking time to read this blog and I hope you can relate and enjoy.

Be on the lookout for the next post.  My wife and I and another couple are going to Biga on the Banks here in San Antonio for an 8 course tasting menu while sitting at the chef's table.  Hopefully I can remember what we ate as the courses will be paired with a glass of wine.  Owner and Chef Bruce Auden is nominated for James Beard Southwest Chef.  James Beard nomination is about as big as you can get in American chefdom.

6 comments:

  1. Yes! So excited you started your blog and can't wait to see you post some recipes so I can steal them and attempt to make them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I'm Andrea..Laurens Bloggy BFF...New follower...really excited for sum recipes so i can "attempt" to make sumthing!

    here is my blog: fell free to stop by and check it out! :}

    http://keepinitthriftyandrea.blogspot.com

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike. Great start. I'm looking forward to more as you get to experience new cuisine. Also Daion and I would love new recipes so please post.
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great! Can't wait to read more of your posts. I've recently posted about cooking Boeuf Bourguignon on my blog aMuse Me Nora! I'm trying to use cooking & Nora Ephron (writer/director) to inspire me with my writing. I also love food. I can't say I think chain restaurants are good anymore. Especially, Friday's and Olive Garden. Soooo over it. I love checking out new food trucks! Food trucks are huge right now. Foodies are awesome! I hope I can call myself one soon. Once I learn more.

    http://amusemenora.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey There! I'm a new follower! Love it! Can't wait to hear reviews of San Antonio restaurants. Hubby and I plan to take a trip down there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the bloggy world and thanks for linking up with us at the Sit and Relax weekend hop! Good Luck in both your food adventures and your blogging ones!
    Michelle
    Heartfelt Balance Handmade Life

    ReplyDelete